Friday, June 13, 2008

Roots..and what's for supper.

I spent years and years fighting any hint of WV accent, not admitting the farming/coal mining history in my family...you name it, I fought it.

I feared being a country song.

Years ago, I was chatting with an elderly woman who knew my family. After listening to me talk for a while, she raised her eyebrow and asked, "Where you FROM, girl?".
Holy gods. What a fierce question.

I'm a lot more comfortable in my own skin these days.
Yep, my grandparents owned a huge farm. Yep, my grandpa was a coal miner.
Yep, I barely pronounce L in the middle/end of words. My dear friend K giggled when I said, "Those damned owls are getting started". I'm sure it came out, "Those damned ows are gettin' started."

*Cue Dueling Banjos*

I can pluck a chicken, with speed and skill.
I know when to plant corn, by the size of new oak leaves.

10 years ago, I would have set myself on fire before admitting that.
---
Friday, in my house, usually includes massive housecleaning. As if we've had plague here. No idea why I feel such a drive to have the house immaculate for the weekend, but I do.
We usually errand run and grocery shop on Friday night..dinner is something simple but Weekend Worthy.
Michael asked for "that pasta with the hot sausage":
Penne pasta, with a tiny bit of homemade alfredo, grilled hot sausage and steamed broccoli..hurl it in a bowl and toss it. Instant Michael Happiness.

I'm not a fan, so I'll be eating my summer standby:
Fresh mozzarella, roasted grape tomatoes, chopped kalamata and black olives, and a big handful of fresh basil..tossed in a wee bit of "tuscan something" dressing. I like it on a hunk of fresh, crusty bread. It's really good with grilled chicken in it, too.
I can eat alarming amounts of this stuff..and I usually have a bowl of it in the fridge.

~~~~~
I e-mail pics of really good meals to my friends, with the recipe included. Maybe, ala Brenda, I'll start posting them.

1 comment:

~B. said...

Yes, you must post them, and take pictures...pretty pretty please. :)