Monday, April 6, 2009

It's That Time of the year...

I've got gardening on the brain.
I got my very first gardening sunburn of the year..so of COURSE there is snow in the forecast. 1-3 inches, and 15 degree windchill. Woo.

I'm going with square foot gardening this go-round. I'm damned tired of fighting through clay and shale...bring on the fabulous rock-and-clay free soil of a raised bed!
(I will miss the Shovel Drills...you get a true picture of your balance when you sink a shovel into the ground a few inches, hop on with both feet and immediately hit rock. It takes speed and agility not to fall on your ass. Over and over. I do not heart northern WV soil.)

The Planting List:
Squash- Sunburst, Golden Dawn, Richgreen and Magda
Peas- Sugar Sprint and Frosty
Cauliflower- Early Dawn and Veronica
Beans- Valentino and
Beets- Bull's Blood (the young tops are REALLY good in salad)
Cabbage-Stonehead
Eggplant- Fairy Tale
Corn (wont be in raised bed)-Luscious and Polka
Broccoli- Coronado Crown
Potatoes- No idea! I'll get there.

I know I forgot a few things......

I considered planting carrots and bell peppers, but I can get huge bags of really nice organic peppers/carrots at freakin' Costco for $3. It just didn't justify the space/expense of planting my own.

Square foot gardening is supposedly more cost/effort efficient. We'll see. As it stands, I need roughly 76 12in squares. Holy soil, Batman. Michael will be SO THRILLED with our next few weekends. *snort*


Photobucket

And squash shall overcome Earth.

No comments: