* 3 lbs plum/roma tomatoes (or whatever you have around!)
* 2 jalapeños (seeded, if you aren't a masochist like me)
* 1 large sweet onion, sliced
* 2 green onions
* 4 teaspoons chopped, roasted garlic (TicTacs for later)
* handful-sized bunch of your herb of choice
* 1 teaspoon salt (SMOKED sea salt is what makes my salsa the 'party favorite')
* 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (sounds nasty, try it anyway)
* 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
Huge "pain in the ass" version:
Fire up the outdoor grill. If you use propane, make a boat out of foil for wood chips, or use the fancy wood chip metal things. Make sure you take the grate off first.
Clean and prepare vegetables for grilling. I wrap them in a foil packet.
When the grill is hot place wood over coals or gas flame.
Replace grate, and place tomatoes, jalapeños and onions on a hot grill - over hot coals, or low flames.
Lightly blacken all on both sides. 10 minutes per side MAX usually works for me.
Place jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, onions and herbs and pulse in a food processor until just coarsely chopped.
Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Get a BIG cast iron skillet good and hot...blacken/roast the damned veggies in the house where the air conditioner is.
Continue steps from there :D
Makes about 4 pounds. I usually keep a pound to eat within a week and separate the remaining into 1/2 pound baggies and freeze. Thaw (duh) and warm it a little before serving.
Photo, as promised!
I like mine chopped pretty fine (I don't do onion chunks).
Michael asked why I had the camera and a bowl of salsa..hehe
KTKC Beer Update
1 day ago